So tomorrow will mark four weeks since my last day as an employee! I'm continuing my search for something new, but so far...nothing.
Yesterday was my daughter's last day of 3rd grade! I just can't believe that the school year is over and it is summertime. As I thought about today being my daughter's first day of summer vacation, I realized that this is actually gearing up to be my first summer vacation since I was in high school. Wow!! It got me to thinking about how I spent my summer's as a child and about how my own daughter has spent her previous summer's. My brother and I would spend every summer playing with friends, moving (because my dad got transferred) and/or going to visit my grandparents. Sometimes I really only had my younger brother to play with because we would move and neither of us knew anyone at the new place yet. As for my daughter, she was in daycare year round until she started school then once she started school she went to a combination of camps or to a relative's house. Until I lost my job, I was completely stressing about summertime as I had in previous years. Each Spring, I stress out about how to cover daycare expenses for the summer. I'm sure that any working parent can relate to this...childcare is expensive! We are fortunate to live near lots of great summer camps, but unfortunately most are so outrageously pricey that they are out of our price range, especially to do it for the entire summer. The last two years, we have been able to do a mix of camp and having a family member watch her. This year we had already committed to a couple of weeks of camp and now she'll be home with me for the rest of the summer. I hope that I can make it special and memorable for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment