Sunday, July 8, 2012

Looking for a change

So I've been searching for a job for 2 months now and so far...nothing.  I have an appointment with career services at my alma mater in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping it will be helpful in my search for employment.  The jobs I have applied for have all fallen into the realm of what I know and what I've been doing for the past 11 years.  I realize that as much as I need to find something, I also have this fear that I'll wind up in another desk job feeling just as miserable as I was before. 

Many moons ago, when I transferred from community college to university, I wanted to be a social studies teacher.  Once I transferred, I decided that political science was my thing which then led to legal studies and ultimately becoming a paralegal. For the past few years, I have regretted that decision and wished that I had become a teacher.  Unfortunately, we have not been in a place financially where I could afford to go back to school to pursue teaching.  Since I am not working and not having much luck in the job search, now is the time to return to school.  I have applied to a Master's in English and Language Arts Education program.  I expect that it will still be a couple more weeks until I find out if I was accepted or not and the suspense is killing me!  This way, even if I find a job, I will still be moving forward toward something I will truly enjoy.

We're learning how to entertain ourselves without breaking the bank.  We've spent a lot of time swimming in my parents pool, visiting the beach, going to the park, checking out books at the library and just being together.  We stopped eating out and we're getting much better at buying only the things we need.  I wish we had figured this out a long time ago, but I guess it's better late than never!

No comments:

Post a Comment